Weird Al was everywhere last summer. Most of us have heard of Weird Al Yankovic. He is a genius. He was once thought of as a hack, but thirty years of successful album creation says otherwise. Weird Al has created his own fame and has blazed a completely unique trail by making hilarious parodies of hit songs.
Yankovic’s newest album hit #1 on Billboards charts last summer. This was the first time that a comedy album reached the #1 spot since 1963. If you had been looking at any media, you would have noticed Weird Al was everywhere. 100,000 copies of his brand new album have been down loaded. He was suddenly in the spotlight like never before.
Did all of this happen accidentally? Did people just stumble upon his latest video and make it go viral? Absolutely not!! It took a strategy and lots of marketing, before, during and after his albums release.
In an Inc magazine article, Jason Surfrapp explains the strategy behind this amazingly successful campaign, that seemed to just happen. The following is an excerpt:
- Weird Al has been making music and honing his craft for 30 years! That in itself is an amazing feat.
- Weird Al’s record label didn’t have the money to produce the 8 videos for his latest album, so he went to sites like Nerdist, CollegeHumor, Yahoo!, and Funny or Die to partner with them. Not only did they help fund and produce his videos, then they promoted them to their built-in audiences (because any great content on their platform helps their platform).
- Weird Al has been appearing as a guest on a number of popular podcasts (again, tapping into existing networks).
- Weird Al got the blessing of Pharrell, Robin Thicke, Lorde, and the other artists he parodied. By doing this he earned their respect and they wanted to share his parody because it helped boost their other music.
- Weird Al has his own blog where he’s been sharing unique content and behind the scenes stuff for years.
- Weird Al uses social media well, reposting content that matters, and sharing interesting content.
- He wasn’t platform exclusive, and his album has been downloaded 100,000+ times on Amazon, iTunes, and other sites.
- And a whole lot more stuff that I couldn’t quickly find on Google…
Mr Surfrapp highlighted an amazing strategy that was implemented to turn Yankovic’s latest album into an “overnight” success. Any business or service that has a web presence should be able to transpose these techniques into a successful marketing campaign.
If you create a internet content and expect the world accidentally discover it and come rushing to view it and send you into the stratosphere of internet stardom, it ain’t gonna happen. You need to take steps, before, during and after your launch, to create a seemingly overnight success.
- Hone your craft – whatever it is that you do – keep fine tuning it – always improving
- Tap into existing networks
- Use social media effectively and wisely
- Keep blogging consistently – create an expectation for new exciting content
- Interact and develop relationships with influencers – work together to create a synergistic win/win situation
- Keep looking for ways to offer interesting content to your audience that does more than merely SELL them something
By being yourself, developing your expertise and honing your craft, you can use Weird Al Yankovic’s marketing genius to get your business to the next level of success. Start today and keep at it.